Up close and personal with Samsung’s Galaxy S Android Smartphone.
In another first this week, I had a chance to get up close and personal with Samsung’s Android Galaxy S (Model: GT-I9000) smartphone during the Samsung Africa Forum 2010 in Johannesburg (South Africa). The handset is simply stunning and marks Samsung’s first commericial foray using the wildly popular Android mobile operating system. I got a first hand look at the handset and tinkered around with it. There are so many things about it that make it a major milestone for Samsung in its wide arsenal of smartphones. It has a gorgeous Super AMOLED display and the intelligence as well as the userbility of the device come shining though with flying colors.
Having spoken to a good number of executives from Samsung regarding their plans for the Samsung S, I secured reliable information that they intend to launch it in Kenya sometime in September or October 2010. Earlier this week, also as reported on this blog, Huawei and Safaricom launched the first Android smartphone in Kenya which is expected to retail for around Kes. 30,000.00 when it hits the marketplace. The Galaxy S would therefore be the second Android handset to come to Kenya on this basis.
The Galaxy S which has not yet been launched anywhere in Africa yet already has over 100 mobile networks globally who have signed up to launch the much lauded device before the end of the year. In the US, the Galaxy S is already causing waves following its launch recently under the name “Captivate” with AT&T. Many mobile networks worldwide are planning to use the Galaxy S as a linchpin for smartphone market penetration owing to its formidable capabilities.
â€œThe Android-powered Samsung Galaxy S will set a new standard for smartphones, and the excitement weâ€™ve seen from operators and retailers for this device is testament to that,â€ said JK Shin, president and head of mobile communications business. â€œThe Samsung Galaxy S is the perfect device for people in all corners of the world who want that extra edge; to be more effective, productive, better connected, and in tune with their smart life â€“ both personal and professional â€“ all in a very easy and simple way. Weâ€™re extremely confident that this device is going to be very successful in every market.â€
As part of Samsungâ€™s drive to democratize the smartphone market, the Galaxy S will be the flagship model of the smartphone range Samsung will introduce this year. It will also offer enhanced opportunities for developers and new revenue streams for operators. JK Shin continued, â€œEveryone is going to benefit from this revolutionary new device: from the consumer with the phone in their hand, to application developers and the many global operators who have signed up to support the Galaxy S. This truly is a phone for the whole ecosystem.â€
Featuring Samsungâ€™s dazzlingly bright 4-inch Super AMOLED screen and a 1 GHz application processor, the Androidâ„¢-powered Samsung Galaxy S is designed to provide immersive, intelligent and integrated experiences, with the power to enrich peopleâ€™s lives through best-in-class services and technologies. It will introduce people to the concept of the â€œSmart Lifeâ€ â€“ a smartphone experience that is simple, organize and integrated; one that enriches the lives of users.
The Galaxy S features Samsungâ€™s super-fast TouchWiz 3.0 user-interface (UI), giving users instant access to their mobile lives. Smart Life is further enabled through intuitive, integrative features, including the Swype text input service, the rich augmented reality browser, Layar, and advanced Location Based Service (LBS) capabilities.
More than 50,000 applications from Android Market and Samsung Apps will allow users to extend the benefits and excitement of the smartphone experience even more. Users have access to Google mobile services, such as Google Search, Gmail, and Google Maps. Some of the key features of the Galaxy S are as follows:
- eBook: Provides best-in-class reading experience on the phone. Customizable fonts, easy text search, and intuitive book list management offers convenient and customized reading experience.
- HD Video: Super fast 1 GHz processor enhances HD video playing and recording features on dazzling Super AMOLD screen.
- Daily Briefing: Offers instant access to weather, news, stocks, and the scheduler.
- AllShare: Enables inter-device connectivity via DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) technology.
- Augmented Reality: Shows usersâ€™ surroundings and displays information on camera-view. Tele-Atlas POI provides richer information than ever.
- Swype: Provides fast and easy way to input text on screen while on-the-move.
- Write and go: Jot down an idea first and later decide on a format such as SMS/ MMS, email, calendar or memo.
- ThinkFree: Apps to view and edit Microsoft Office 2007 documents.
- Smart Alarm: Wakes up with a natural alarm sound and automatically turned-on display light.
In addition, the specifications for the Galaxy S are as follows:
- 2.5G (GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE) : 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz
- 3G (HSDPA 7.2Mbps, HSUPA 5.76Mbps) : 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz
OS: Android 2.1
Display: 4.0â€ WVGA Super AMOLED (800×480) with mDNIe
Camera: 5.0 mega-pixel camera + VGA Video Telephony Camera,Â Auto Focus,
Self shot, Action shot, Add me, Stop motion, Cartoon shot, Smile shot,
Video: HD(720p@30fps) video playing & recording
Codec: Mpeg4, H.264, H.263, H263Sorenson, DivX/ XviD, VC-1
Format: 3gp (mp4), WMV (asf), AVI (divx), MKV, FLV
Audio: MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, OGG, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, WAV, MID, AC3, IMY, FLAC, XMF.
- Android Marketâ„¢ and Samsung Apps for more applications and contents
- Augmented Reality with Layar Reality Browser powered by Tele Atlas POI
- 1 GHz Application Processor
- SMS/ MMS/ Email/ Video Messaging/ Exchange ActiveSync
- Sensor: Accelerometer, Digital compass, Proximity, Light
- Offline & No SIM Mode, RSS Reader, Mobile Widgets
- Bluetooth technology v 3.0
- USB v2.0 (High-Speed)
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
Memory: 16GB / 8GB storage, 512MB RAM, external memory slot (upto 32GB)
Size: 64.2 x 122.4 x 9.9mm, 119g
Battery: 1500 mAh